Yup, it’s getting hotter and hotter, but that doesn’t have to mean that your savings account gets smaller and smaller! There are many practical, easy-to-implement ways to save on energy costs when the mercury hits 80 or higher.
- Close the doors and windows when you’re using the AC. This will keep you from “cooling the outdoors”, as mom used to say!
- During the hottest part of the day (usually noon-3:00 p.m.), keep your window shades down or curtains closed. This will help keep the room cooler.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat, especially if there are periods of time when no one is at the house.
- Don’t cook during the day. The heat from the stove will encourage you to turn up the AC.
- Always keep water on hand, and drink it frequently throughout the day to cool your body naturally.
- If you have overhead fans, use them to help cool rooms.
- Wear light clothing around the house, such as shorts instead of jeans.
How do you stay cool when the weather is miserably hot? Let us know by adding a comment.